Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Pastéis de Leite and Marmelada

In 2020 I continued my research into my 16th Century Portuguese cookbook.  I found a fantastic Portuguese language tutor called Joana who has helped me immensely with understanding the basics of the language.  I particularly wanted to start doing my own translation and redactions of the recipes in the O livro de Cozinha da Infanta Dona Maria de Portugal as I had not as yet found an English version that translated the Portuguese language version most like that written in the original book. Some of the versions are in Brazilian Portuguese and others have had the language modernised. Part of my research was towards my class on Pastéis de Leite at the Second Known World Colegio de Iberia. The recording of this class is below and my notes for the class are here.


I decided to continue my work on this recipe for our Baronial Arts and Science Championship where I entered (and won) my Pastéis de Leite along with another recipe from the book called, appropriately Marmelada de dona Joana.  Both recipes were a collaboration between Tutor Joana and myself, we translated them together during my online classes.  She provided the Portuguese language expertise and I the cooking process.  My documentation that went with the class can be found here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

An Evening in Granada Feast

This feast was cooking for an 16th century Iberian event was held in August 2023 in Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac.  The concept of the e...